Saturday, 2 February 2013

Tips for Scholarship Interview

Salaam and Hi.

The title says it all. However, I would like to clarify a few things before we proceed to the tips.
I might not be the best person you should confront for interview tips because I am not that good. I flunked at some interviews and I thought I did a good job on the others. As shocking as it seems to be, I got the scholarship offer for the one I swear I totally messed up and failed at the one me think me did a splendid job. Haha.

Please read here first for my longsome explanation about all these scholarships and interviews thingy.

There are several tips that I consider helpful to share with you. Well, based on my experiences.

1. I always read My mother always read to me this book everytime we went for the interview since I was too lazy to read it all by myself. It's like a History subject book, you know, where tips on every single page are vital for you to keep in mind. Check it out.


101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions by Ron Fry.
2. Apply to as much scholarships as you can no matter what course you actually want to pursue. Nowadays every scholarship requires an online application. Hence you won't waste neither papers nor money to actually try your luck.

Kita tak tahu dekat mana rezeki kita. Try je. Istilah 'ambil rezeki orang' tu tak wujud. We work hard for the SPM, sampai orang panggil kita nerd, perli2, sampai orang tak kawan dengan kita semua and then we achieve excellent results, so we have our right to choose the best among the best kan? Tak layak ke? Salah ke apply banyak2? Bukannya confirm dapat that particular scholarship kalau apply satu je. Semua orang apply banyak tempat. Including you. It's true that we might be getting a few offers but it's not like we can't reject the offer, right? As far as I know, all scholarships limit the scholars to receive only one scholarship at a time. Therefore, at the end it is only one scholarship a person will actually take. The ones yang kita reject tu, dia akan offer budak- budak yang ada dalam reserve list diaorang. So nampak? Ambil rezeki orang ke? Tak lah... Jangan fikir negative je boleh tak... Penat lah. (Aku lebih pada nak luah isi hati je nih. Layan je lah.)

The reason why you should apply for more than one scholarship is to practice your interview skills - the way you answer questions, the way you communicate, the way you act, your personalities. It can be brushed up by attending a lot of interviews. As tempting as it sounds, you can go for a walk-in interview at any bookstore nearby your house! :) That is considered a practice too.

3. Don't be over-confident. Having too high self-complacent will not help. Frankly speaking, I met a few school debaters at each and every interview I went to, but some of them didn't get the offer or didn't even succeed to the second round. I am not trying to downgrade anyone here thus I am sorry if in any ways I make anyone feels offended. Remember, this is a tip. To non-debaters (like me), if you are not outspoken in giving your opinions or you never actually talk in front of a crowd, please don't worry too much. You and your rivals are all the same    Everyone has his own advantages yet everyone has flaws too. That's why you are there. Don't feel embarrassed of yourself for flaws that you have. Instead, be confident of yourself for the advantages that you have!

4. Wear spectacles please.. Okay, this might look like a silly tip but it had worked on me!

Now the story behind it all. Ehem.. *Clearing throat*

I actually wore contact lens to the Petronas Eduquest. I woke up early on the second day which was the day the interview was conducted. *butterfly in the stomach* Lamentably, when I was putting the contact lens straight to my one of my eyes, the contact lens dropped to the floor. I was like, OHMYGOD! It was my fault actually coz all the while, I was doing my things in the complete darkness as my roommates were still sleeping. I did not want to wake them up since it was too early, like 4.50 a.m. Hihi ^___^

I crouched to the floor and looking for the lens with my bare hands. I did not find it! Bad time. To make things worse, I did not bring an extra pair of contact lens. 'What am I supposed to do? I can't wear contact lens for one side of my eyes only. It feels awkward and uncomfortable at all. After praying Subuh, I searched again for my lens. This time I found it! Yay! Even though the contact lens was already dry, I tried to rinse it with the liquid cleanser and rub it a few times to remove the proteins and dust from it. Well, if you know what I mean. Oh yeah. guess what happened then?

While I was rubbing my contact lens, I accidentally teared it to pieces. WHAT A BAD LUCK!
(This is mishap number one. There is number two, which I wont share with you coz it is much more embarrassing. Haha.)

So yeah, glasses was all I got. No matter how I refused to wear it, I HAD to wear it. I had no choice, right?
But yeah, glasses helped me! I looked like serious and more matured (KOT. Ni syok sendiri je nih. HAHA.) Conclusion: Wear specs YO! But if you are not short or long-sightedness, then no need buy it lah.

5. Make a sweet, innocent, muka-minta-simpati kind of face. If you meet me anywhere, don't hesitate to ask me how does that kind of face look like. I'll show you. HAHA.

6. Smile baby smile! It's the best medicine, remember? ;)

7 comments:

  1. it really happen - u're messed up with this interview, u kept talking in ur head that u'll never get the scholar... but eventually it turned out to be - U GOT IT!

    Ahah :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. betul ke ada orang cakap kalau apply JAD and MARA PILN,and you probably just got one of them sebab JAD pun under mara?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello.. Hmm rasanya tak macam tu kot..
      Sebab kawan saya dulu dia dapat dua2.. JAD dapat, MARA Alevel pergi UK pun dapat.

      Delete
  3. Katakanlah kita dapat 2 scholarships,contohnya MARA and Petronas,and Petronas release result dulu then kita accept Petronas offer. Lepastu baru result MARA release and then kita nak MARA,tak nak Petronas. Boleh ke kita tukar dari Petronas ke MARA?

    sorry ayat berbelit sikit. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hai boleh je. Ada je yang buat before ni. Kita mmg lah dah sign contract dengan petronas, tapi start masuk college dalam bulan 7 camtu. so petronas belum spend apa2 untuk kita lagi. syarat contract is that if kita nak keluar dari contract, kita kena bayar semua yang petronas dah belanja untuk kita. so selagi tak masuk college, dia tak bayar kan apa2 fees untuk kita pun. So, boleh je keluar actually. Tapi kena inform baik2 lah ye + officially :)

      Delete
  4. Hai.. nak tanya. Kalau pakaian, for non Muslims guna baju kurung juga ke? You under scholarship petronas ke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! No need. Actually, muslim girls are also not required to wear baju kurung... It is just easier to wear baju kurung coz it is considered a formal dress in Malaysia. You can basically wear either baju kurung, or formal dress/suit - blouse and slack. And yes, I am under Petronas.

      Anyway, goodluck to you! :)

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts?