Tuesday, 30 July 2013

How To Answer the Call of Prayer (Azan/ Athan)

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim and Hi everyone :)

Alhamdulillah, today Allah has opened my heart to relearn something that I have long forgotten -- how to answer to the Azan, or in simpler words, what we should say when we hear the call of prayer. Sure, I learned it in primary school, but the knowledge just disappeared because I had rarely practiced what I was thought. Honestly, this is what is going to happen if you learn something just for the sake of exam -- you tend to forget about it once you're done with the test. I'm guilty as charged, and I hold my hands up to that.

I was in the mosque, sitting and waiting to pray Isya' with the other brothers and sisters in Islam. I didn't read the Quran to kill the time while waiting because I arrived just in time before the azan was called out by the mu'azzin (someone who performs the azan). Then, it kind of struck me out of the blue, "How am I supposed to answer this?". I tried to remember what I had learnt from almost a decade ago (Damn, it was a freaking DECADE ago) but it seemed that there was a dysfunctional signalling between the neurons near the synapses in my brain. As I failed to answer the azan, I silently told myself that I must find the book and memorize the verses again. Malu Miza, Islam sejak lahir takkan benda simple macam ni pun hang tak tau.

So here is the Azan and the answer to each of the lines. The words highlighted in purple are the romanization of those Arabic sentences, in case you're not so sure on how to pronounce each and every one of them.

P/s: Because Azan for Subh prayer (Fajr) is slightly different from the rest of the prayer times, I have included the answer below. (Go to Number 6 and 7)

When The Mua’zzin Says…
You Reply By Saying…
1.

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar

1.
 

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar
2.

Ash-hadu alla ilaha illa-llah. Ash-hadu alla ilaha illa-llah.

2.

Ash-hadu alla ilaha illa-llah. Ash-hadu alla ilaha illa-llah.
3.

Ash-hadu anna Muhammadar-Rasulullah.
Ash-hadu anna Muhammadar-Rasulullah.

3.

Ash-hadu anna Muhammadar-Rasulullah. 
Ash-hadu anna Muhammadar-Rasulullah.
4.


Hayya ‘ala-s-Salah, hayya ‘ala-s-Salah.
4.

La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah. 

5.

Hayya ‘ala-l-falah, hayya ‘ala-l-falah.

5.
La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah. 
*****Only for the Fajr (Subh) Azan*****
*****Only for the Fajr (Subh) Azan*****
6.

As-Salatu khairun min an-naum. 

6.


La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah. 

7.


As-Salatu khairun min an-naum. 

7.

La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah. 


*************************************
*************************************
8.

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar. 

8.

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar.
9.

La ilaha illa-llah. 

9.


La ilaha illa-llah. 


And actually, we are encouraged to make du'a and ask Allah for His forgiveness right after the Azan finishes. This is the du'a, please memorize it :)

                        *****************************************************

                        
                        *****************************************************

It is very simple, right? You just gotta repeat after the words previously called out by the Mua'zzin. But apparently we are inclined to forget the easiest thing to do, MOST OF THE TIMES. I hope this will benefit you, as much as it has benefited me. May Allah bless us! Amin :)

Have you memorized it? Then test yourself! ;) The Mua'zzin is Hafiz Mustafa Özcan, from Turkey.





-By MizaFirzana Basir

6 comments:

  1. CORRECTION:
    "Sadaqta wa Bararta" is the answer for Assalat-u-Khairum minan naoom in Fajr Adhaan. Kindly Re-confirm it. Jazak ALLAH

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts?